Thursday, November 12, 2009

Fall Hazards for Pets

The holiday season is fast approaching and we welcome the cooler weather, but not some of the hazards that exist for our pets.

Low toxicity
(may cause gastrointestinal upset, but unlikely to cause serious problems unless very large amounts are ingested):

  • Glow jewelry, glow sticks (can cause intense taste reactions, especially in cats)
  • School glues, epoxy glues
  • Pencils
  • Magic markers
  • Charcoal briquettes
  • Mosquito Dunks containing Bacillus thuringenesis

Moderate toxicity (may cause significant signs beyond mild gastrointestinal upset):

  • Expandable wood glues (e.g. Elmer's ProBond, Gorilla Glue-even small amounts can form large gastric foreign bodies requiring surgical removal)
  • Liquid potpourri
  • Batteries
  • Charcoal lighter fluid
  • DEET

High toxicity (potential for very serious or life-threatening signs):

  • Antifreeze/coolants
  • Chocolate
  • Rodenticides
  • Hepatotoxic mushrooms (see below)
  • Human medications (cold and flu medications, decongestants)
  • Alcoholic beverages
  • Homemade "play-dough" (high sodium content)
Useful Websites for Poison Prevention

Poison prevention for pet owners:

Visit the ASPCA website to read about proper use of flea products, poisonous plants to watch out for (find lists of toxic and non-toxic plants, and 10 most common poisonous plants), and tips for making their homes "poison proof" for their pets.

No comments: